Responsible for greeting patients and visitors along with checking in patents for their appointments. The front desk check-in receptionist is responsible for assisting the practice manager in assuring the office meets organizational goals and provides high quality care and services to all patients and customers.
Primary Job Functions
- Responsible for acknowledging presence of patients and visitors immediately upon arrival and assessing their needs, inquires, etc.
- Responsible for communicating to waiting patients about delays in doctor’s schedules or other issues as needed.
- Responsible for asking that patients complete necessary paperwork and for entering data into computer prior to appointment.
- Responsible for collecting payments from patients and explaining payment policies to patients according to office policy.
- Responsible for posting walk-in payments in EMR.
- Responsible for marking “no shows” in computer at the end of the day and notifying referring physicians appropriately.
- Responsible for maintaining sign-in sheets daily and scanning sign in sheets monthly.
- Responsible for documenting receipt of correspondence for new patients in computer.
- Responsible for the scheduling of office appointments as needed.
- Responsible for Insurance eligibility/verification of appointment.
- Responsible for confirming appointment referrals received the day prior to the scheduled appointment.
- Responsible for posting payments (mail, copayments, phone, etc.) and assorting mail as trained.
- Responsible for assisting and directing vendors (FedEx, Drug Reps, etc.).
- Responsible for transferring appropriate patient information/documents from old EMR to current EMR.
- Responsible for cleanliness of front desk area.
- Responsible for assisting all other personnel in the completion of duties as needed.
- Responsible for establishing priorities in sequence of activities to maintain an efficient system.
- Responsible for promoting teamwork and cooperation among coworkers, physicians and administrator.
- Responsible for carrying out duties in a manner that promote high quality patient care and efficiency, along with maximizing physician time efficiency.
- Responsible for only accessing PHI required to perform job duties.
- Other various tasks as assigned by supervisor and/or administrator.
Primary Check In:
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining waiting area in compliance of policies and procedures.
- Responsible for referral appointments and scheduling (second and third attempts).
- Responsible for assisting with medical records for referrals.
- Responsible for managing the incoming fax folder in accordance with policy and procedures.
Secondary Check In:
- Responsible for copying medical records and mailing requesting parties with proper patient authorization.
- Responsible for managing incoming and outgoing referrals in all systems (EMR, Epic, etc.), will conduct initial call and additional calls if needed.
- Responsible for correspondences in Epic for appointment status of incoming referrals.
- Responsible for maintaining active patient correspondence folder and send to the appropriate physician.
- Responsible for managing the urgent fax folder.
- Responsible for Spanish speaking voicemails, correspondences, referrals and appointment assistance.
- Act as a liaison for interpreting Spanish speaking patients/families throughout entire office.
Front Office Team:
- Retrieve voicemails on appointment scheduling line.
- Responsible for accurate input of patient data.
- Complete tasks and emails in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Cross train within department.
- Responsible for sending appropriate medical records based on policies and procedures.
- Responsible for managing appointment reminders for all locations and all provider/audiology schedules.
- Protect patients’ right of confidentiality and follow HIPAA guidelines.
- Assist will answering the phones.
- Perform daily balancing as assigned and in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist and direct vendors (FedEx, Drug Reps, etc.).
- Travel to other locations as needed.
Job Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- High School education or GED equivalent
- Experience in a physician’s office
- Knowledge and experience with modern office procedures, office equipment and medical terminology
- Strong verbal and written communication skills