Responsible for checking patients out, monitoring, maintaining, and managing the medical records within the EMR for maximum efficiency and effectiveness. The Front Desk Check-out Receptionist is responsible for assisting the practice manager in assuring the office meets organizational goals and provides high quality care and services to all patients and customers.
Primary Job Functions
- Responsible for checking patients out upon completion of their appointment.
- Responsible for scheduling appointments for patients as ordered by the provider.
- Responsible for collecting payments from patients and explaining payment policies to patients in accordance to office policy.
- Responsible for pulling and scanning charts for appointments one day prior as needed.
- Responsible for importing correspondence and clinical reports from mail, fax, etc. in EMR and assigned as indicated in policy and procedures.
- Responsible for precertification of in-office CT scans.
- Responsible for managing Medicaid claims as assigned.
- Responsible for managing incoming fax inbox while following policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness at checkout area, including patient charts per policy.
- Responsible for assisting/covering other positions within front office department as assigned.
- Responsible for making incoming/outgoing referral calls and correspondences in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Responsible for assisting all other personnel in the completion of duties as needed.
- Responsible for establishing priorities in sequence of activities to maintain an efficient system.
- Responsible for promoting teamwork and cooperation among coworkers, physicians, and administrator.
- Responsible for carrying out duties in a manner that promoted high quality patient care and efficiency along with maximizing physician time efficiency.
- Responsible for only accessing PHI required to perform job duties.
- Other duties as requesting by physicians and/or administrator.
Front office Team:
- Retrieve voicemails on appointment scheduling line.
- Responsible for accurate input of patient data.
- Complete tasks and emails in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Cross train within department.
- Responsible for sending appropriate medical records based on policies and procedures.
- Responsible for managing appointment reminders for all locations and all provider/audiology schedules.
- Protect patients’ right of confidentiality, follow HIPAA guidelines.
- Assist with answering the phones.
- Perform daily balancing as assigned and in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist and direct vendors (FedEx, Drug Reps, etc.)
- Travel to other locations as needed.
Job Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- High School education or GED equivalent
- Experience in a physician’s office
- Knowledge and experience with modern office procedures, office equipment and medical terminology
- Strong verbal and written communication skills