Clinical Technician/Medical Assistant
POSITION: Clinical Technician/Medical Assistant
REPORTS TO: Practice Office Manager
The clinical technician/medical assistant provides direct and/or indirect clinical and related services as assigned. It is his-her responsibility to assist the practice manager in assuring the practice meets organizational goals and provides high quality care and service to all patients and customers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for properly setting up exam room prior to patient visit.
- Responsible for escorting patients to appropriate room or area.
- Responsible for obtaining patient history, vital signs, chief complaint and entering data into the appropriate EMR template.
- Responsible for returning patient phone calls as directed by assigned physicians and in compliance with patient care standards and office policies.
- Responsible for calling or e-prescribing prescriptions and prescription refills to pharmacies.
- Responsible for obtaining prior approval for medications.
- Responsible for complete follow-up with patient as requested by physician(s).
- Responsible for cleaning and stocking exam rooms on daily basis.
- Responsible for sterilizing instruments on as needed basis.
- Responsible for performing tympanograms and audiograms as requested by physician and importing results into EMR.
- Responsible for assisting the physicians in providing high quality medical care to patients as directed/indicated.
- Responsible for supporting approved department philosophy, standards of clinical care, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for participating in department continuing education and in-service programs and in approved external programs (subject to policy and approval).
- Responsible for assisting all other personnel in the completion of duties as needed.
- Responsible for establishing priorities in directing sequence of activities to maintain an efficient system.
- Responsible for promoting teamwork and cooperation among co-workers, physicians, and practice manager.
- Responsible for carrying out duties in a manner that promotes high quality patient care and efficiency along with maximizing physician time and efficiency.
- Responsible for only accessing PHI required to perform job duties. See Back Office User Rights.
- Other duties as requested.
- High School education or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Medical Assistant certification preferred.
- Experience in physician office.
- Knowledge and experience with modern office procedures, office equipment and medical terminology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.